Register    Login    Forum    FAQ     Contact us
The Better Smoking Choice

Board index » Electronic Cigarette Discussions » Electronic Cigarette & Quit Smoking

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:50 pm 
I need some thoughts out there. My boyfriend has been smoking since 16 years old which is more than 18 years now. According to him, he is a heavy smoker along with his parents. There were instances in his life that he has smoked more than 2 packs a day. But now, he has been smoking 2.5 packs a week.

When he met me, he decided to quit smoking because I would get dizzy, headaches, and cough with the smell of cigarettes. In the beginning, he was trying really hard to quit smoking. He tried going cold turkey twice, relapsing on day 9. Then, he tried the gum, which didn't work either. His friend gave him NJoy, and nothing. Now, he is on Vapor King and slowly giving up again on the ecig and going back to the cigarettes.

So, my question is how can I help someone in quitting smoking if this person gave up in quitting? I asked him what makes him feel the need to smoke and he claims that the cigarette calms him down. He feels the urge to smoke when under stress or in need to concentrate. And, apparently, none of the products out in the market target to people who wants to quit smoking do what a cigarette will do.

The other day I opened a Marlboro light that had a little brochure for those that wants to quit smoking and there was a helpline support number inside. So, before I tell him to try, I was wondering if there are anyone out there that tried and it and it actually helped.

Again, any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks for reading,

Kaki

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:09 pm 
Valued Member

I switched to ecigs but my wife still smokes regular cigarettes. She does not have the will power to really get off tobacco cigs.
Now she tries alternate between a regular cig and an ecig. It somewhat works :) Many times she still smokes regular cigs but she is trying to increase the ecig frequency ...

Post Posted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:30 pm 
Valued Member

People who are addicted to smoking, cannot stop smoking abruptly, they can only reduce it gradually. With the help of electronic cigarettes, they can quit smoking. Electronic cigarettes will not cause any health disorders and they can gradually reduce it.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:47 am 

Ask him about what you can do that would best help him quit. For example, some people might like constant reminders and encouragement, while others do better with less interaction.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:56 pm 
Valued Member

He is the only one who can help himself into quiting in my opinion. But ofcourse you can always help give him reason to quit like introducing him to e-cigs, just offer it on a nice non-aggressive way.

Post Posted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:12 pm 
Strong Contributor

danielmiller873 wrote:
He is the only one who can help himself into quiting in my opinion. But ofcourse you can always help give him reason to quit like introducing him to e-cigs, just offer it on a nice non-aggressive way.

This is the most appreciated way is suggested by danielmiller. He is the only one who can help him to quit. Other's can only give encouragement.

Post Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:53 am 
Valued Member

The easiest way to quit smoking seems to be e-cigs.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:27 pm 

You can help him to be ore busy and always of advising him that will not smoke anymore.Giving him such attention that he would not get into smoking,

Post Posted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:11 am 

My grandmother was really a smoker.What made her quit is when she had a health problem.Im not saying that one should be ill just to quit but Its always once willingness to quit.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:03 pm 
Valued Member

Just don't give up. It's always a long and tough road for anybody to quit an addiction. It is normal and common to relapse. I think even if he relapses, tell him how much you appreciate all his previous efforts of trying to quit for you. Remember also that he should quit for his own sake/benefit first and foremost...Hmmm. I have a friend who smokes and has attempted to quit different times in his life. He usually gets tempted to smoke when he is super stressed or in occasions peers offer him a cigarette and he just decides to join in. Anyway, he does not use the e-cig unlike me (he's still thinking of trying it out). But from my observation, he has reduced his tobacco smoking in the recent months because of this sudden awakening to change his life and better his health. He avoids alcohol (sometimes drinking and smoking go together for many people), eats healthier (he always had an interest in the veggie/health diets, anyway...), jogs, goes to the gym. To be honest, the combination of good healthy food and exercise does wonderfully for him...He acts more at ease, more confident (and maybe has more discipline to not smoke when tense)...My theory is the gym exercise routine made him look more fit and feel more healthy so he feels good about himself more and does not want to destroy himself with the tobacco smoking... It's more like, he also has a fun (and healthy) diversion available.

Board index » Electronic Cigarette Discussions » Electronic Cigarette & Quit Smoking